Subject: Re: Parallel Port, Direct control?
From: [email-masked] (Martijn Wehrens)
To: [email-masked] (James Brown) (James Brown)
Cc: [email-masked] (Amos-Mailing-List)
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 95 10:35:50 MET

> Hi!
Hi too!

> I've written a front-end for a robotics program, But want to use the
> parallel port for output.
> The problem im having is that i dont want to use a
> sophisticated interface. With IBMS (GASP!!!!) you can just, Eg in
> quickbasic, Use out XXXX ect
> But im not sure how to do this in amos. AMOS seems to be very
> fussy about the control lines!!!! I am using amos 1.3. 

Well, a friend of mine tried to do the same thing with amos 1.3
too. He used a print-drill via the parallel-port
This did work in the end, but not thanks to AMOS 1.3
You should realise that the parallel.device from the amiga -which
is accessed through PAR: in AMOS1.3- wants a handshake.
So if you just write to PAR: nothing happens because the Amiga will
wait for a handshake from the other end.
In AMOSPro you may acces the parallel.device directly and thus
you may be able to (using the RKM.devices) access it properly.
If not, the simplest option is to Loke,Doke and Poke straight into
the parallel-ports memory-mapped places. Which is very close to
what you are doing on the IBMs. Note: under MSDUMB this is quite OK
but not under windoze or OS2 etc. The amiga also expects to have
access to the port unless prohibited by a task (through the
parallel.device). So my friend used the hardware approach and this
works fine. Other programs will work OK as well if they do not
attempt to use the parallel port.
I DO NOT have the addresses needed here, look them up in the
hardware manual or 'amiga intern' or such. I can look them up if
you realy want. Maybe someone else knows them by heart :-?

Hope this is of help.
> 
>                      James Brown
>                     GCC PRESIDENT
---------------------------------------------------------------
Martijn Wehrens, Theoretical Chemistry Group Utrecht University
email [email-masked]          
---------------------------------------------------------------